Sunday, October 10, 2010

Brief, Necessarily


Seeing as how I simply cannot seem to keep up with a blog about myself or my travels I've decided to change the format of this blog a bit.

Just a few weeks ago while driving cross country, Seattle to Charleston, South Carolina I met some folks in a tap house and decided that writing about the people I meet is more compelling to me than writing about myself. So that's what I'm doing.


Kat and Sean

I arrived in Asheville, North Carolina not knowing exactly what to expect. My cousin told me it was a great little town and was the most progressive spot in the region. I rode my bike from the hotel to the downtown area and took a seat in a taproom called "The Thirsty Monk" (http://monkpub.com/). While perusing the draught choices a young woman starting talking to me.

She told me it was pint night and offered me a sip of her beer to see if I might like that one. I did, and we were off to chatting.

Kat is a student at Warren Wilson University in Asheville (http://www.warren-wilson.edu/external_index.php) and is writing up her senior thesis. The topic? Creating bike tours that move from organic farm to organic farm in order to educate people about a more sustainable lifestyle and agriculture. Needless to say we had plenty to talk about.

Sean, Kat's boyfriend, came in a bit later. He was a student as well and a cook at one of the green restaurants in town focusing on local/market fresh produce. He has been taking a course and writing up a business plan for a Falafel Cart that uses locally and organically grown chick peas.

Sean told me that he wanted to name his truck "The Flying Falafel Bros." I laughed, of couse, and tipped my hat to his homage to the great music group the Flying Burrito Brothers. He told me that he had not named his falafel truck to be after this group and that the name was a coincidence. Well, I still think the "Gilded Falafel of Sin" is a good name for a falafel special.

Well done, Asheville. A cool little city with some great people.



No comments:

Post a Comment