Sunday, October 10, 2010

If anywhere is home, this is it.


After being gone nearly half the year, and readying myself to be gone the rest of it, I was able to spend a week back in the Bay Area.

I returned from Charleston to San Francisco. My first act was to attend the last day of the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival. In it's tenth year the free, three day festival may be the largest gathering of bluegrass fans in the world and one of the largest parties in the city outside of Bay to Breakers. Over a million people attended in
the three days.

A billionaire named Warren Hellman puts this on and foots the bill for the entire thing. This guy is a private equity investment banker who just happens to love bluegrass, he himself plays the banjo, and quite well I hear. So, thank you Warren.

The Avett Brothers. Arrow Stage, Hardly Strictly

This year I was able to see the Avett Brothers, Railroad Earth, Yonder Mountain String Band and Keller Williams. Big names like Emmylou Harris, Earl Scruggs, Patti Smith a
nd Del McCoury played. Just unbelievable lineups every year.

This was a great re-entry into the Bay Area and reminded me of the many reasons I love it here. Wonderful people, wonderful weather, progressive thought and cause and one of the most interesting and eclectic group of citizens anywhere in the world.


Any given day...in the city of San Francisco



No comments:

Post a Comment